Bucatini alla' Amatriciana
- 1 lb bucatini pasta
- 1 12 oz pack bacon, cut into 1/4 in strips
- 1 c red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Longer Table Farm dried Basque (espelette) pepper flakes
- 1 28 oz can whole San Marzano tomatoes, pureed in a food processor or passed through a food mill
- 1 1/2 c grated parmigiano reggiano
- 1/2 c grated pecorino romano, plus extra for finishing
- 1/4 c fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- In a large pot, bring 6 qts salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- Render bacon over medium high heat in a large saute pan until it starts to lightly brown, around 5-7 mins.
- Add onion and espelette pepper to pan and cook for 5 mins.
- Turn heat down to medium and carefully add tomatoes. Cook, stirring regularly, for 10-12 mins. Tomatoes should reduce and begin to caramelize, turning brick red in color. If sauce begins to stick to pan, add a few tbsp water to loosen.
- Mix grated cheese into the tomatoes.
- Cook pasta in boiling water according to package instructions until al dente (8-10 mins).
- Drain pasta and stir into sauce over low heat until combined.
- Portion pasta into shallow bowls and top with grated pecorino romano and chopped parsley.
Get recipes for our newest releases in every Gravenstein Club Shipment