Grilled Pizza with Sausage & Mushrooms
- 5½ cups 00 Italian pasta flour
- 2½ cups warm water (100°F)
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 28 oz can crushed San Marzano tomatoes, puréed
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, cut into ¼” – ½” cubes
- ½ cup finely grated pecorino
- 2 red onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 lb sausage, broken into bite-sized pieces (we used beef sausage from True Grass Farms)
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped (cremini, maitake, etc.)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (plus more for grilling)
- In a stand mixer with dough hook attachment, mix flour, yeast and water until it just starts to come together (3-4 min). Cover bowl with a damp cloth and rest for 20 minutes.
- Add 3T salt and mix on medium until dough is smooth and no longer sticks to the bowl (10 min).
- Remove bowl from mixer, cover with damp cloth and prove in a warm (90-100°F) spot until doubled in size (40-60 min).
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and knead out any air bubbles. Portion into six balls on a sheet tray, cover and prove until doubled in size (40-60 min). Portioned dough can be refrigerated for later use.
- In large skillet, heat 2T olive oil over med-high heat, add the sausage and cook until lightly browned (5-6 min). Add mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms begin to brown (5-6 min). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add onions to a small pot with 1T olive oil and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, over a medium high heat until they have broken down and started to caramelize (20 min). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat grill to 400°F. On a floured surface, roll or pull dough balls into six 12” rounds, place each dough on a peel and slide onto grill. With grill cover closed, cook until the bottoms are brown and crispy (2-3min). Remove from grill and flip so grill marks are facing up. Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce leaving about 1” of crust around the outside, brush edge with
olive oil. Add portions of mozzarella, mushrooms, sausage, and caramelized onions and return to the grill. Grill, covered until cheese is melted and crust is crisp and golden (5-7 min).
- Sprinkle pecorino over finished pizza, drizzle with olive oil, cut and serve.
Get recipes for our newest releases in every Gravenstein Club Shipment